Planting and growing strawberries is a rewarding and delicious endeavor. Strawberries are not only easy to grow, but they also produce a sweet, juicy fruit that can be enjoyed fresh or used in various culinary creations. In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about planting and growing strawberries from plants.
Choosing A Strawberry Type
The first step is choosing the right strawberry type. There are different types of strawberries to choose from, including June-bearing and everbearing/day-neutral. June-bearing strawberries produce fruit in early summer, while everbearing/day-neutral strawberries can produce fruit throughout the growing season, depending on your zone and seasonal climate.
When choosing a strawberry plant, it’s essential to consider the growing conditions of your area. Some strawberry varieties perform better in certain climates, soil types, and light conditions.
Preparing The Soil
Once you have purchased your strawberry plants, the next step is preparing the soil. Strawberries require loose well-draining soil that is rich in organic matter and slightly acidic.
Before planting your strawberries, loosen the soil to a depth of 12 inches and remove any weeds or large rocks. Add compost or well-rotted manure to the soil to improve its fertility and aid in water retention.
Planting Your Strawberries
Once the soil is prepared, it’s time to plant your strawberries. First, choose a sunny location with at least six hours of direct sunlight per day.
Dig a hole that is deep enough to accommodate the roots of the strawberry plant. Make sure the crown of the plant is level with the soil surface. If the crown is buried too deep, the plant may not grow properly, and if it’s too high, the roots may dry out.
The spacing of strawberry plants depends on the variety. The guideline for June-bearing types is 15″ to 30″ apart in rows that are 36″ apart. Everbearing/day-neutral types, are typically planted in rows of three with each plant equally spaced about 12″ apart with these rows of three separated by about 30-36″.
It’s also a good idea to mulch around the plants with straw or compost. This will help to retain moisture in the soil and help to prevent weed growth.
5 Tips For Strawberry Care
After planting your strawberries, it’s essential to care for them properly to ensure healthy growth and fruit production. Here are some tips for caring for your strawberries:
- Water your strawberries regularly, especially during dry spells. It’s essential to keep the soil moist but not waterlogged. Frequent, shallow waterings are best for newly planted strawberries.
- When to fertilize your strawberries depends on their type. June-bearing types should be fertilized once per season, after harvest—with a low nitrogen / high phosphorus fertilizer like Jung Jump-Start Strawberry Food. Using a high-nitrogen fertilizer can produce excessive foliage and prevent fruit production.
- Weed your strawberry bed regularly to prevent competition for nutrients and water. As mentioned above, it’s also a good idea to mulch around the plants to suppress weed growth.
- Protect your strawberries from pests and diseases. Common pests that can attack strawberries include slugs, snails, and aphids. Diseases that can affect strawberries include powdery mildew, botrytis, and verticillium wilt.
- For both types of plants, remove any runners that form. Runners are long, trailing stems that grow from the mother plant that will divert energy away from fruit production.
Growing your own garden of fresh strawberries is an easy and fun activity for the whole family. With the tips provided, you should be able to plant and grow your very own strawberries. Jung Seed Co offers a wide variety of Junebearing, Everbearing, and Day-Neutral strawberry plants. The plants are grown under the rigid supervision of state inspectors to ensure top-quality, virus-free strawberry plants.
Other Recommended Reading
- Companion Planting Guide
- How To Create A Bird-Friendly Garden
- 24 Flowers, Fruit, & Plants Perfect For Your Patriotic Garden
- Easy Tips For Pruning Berry Bushes
- Strawberry Growing Guide
- Small Berries & Tips On Growing Them
At Jung Seed Co, we strive to be your go-to guide for all your gardening needs. Our YouTube channel Jung Garden Center now includes our new video series All Things Green where our experts provide gardening tips for all levels of gardeners. When you need reliable gardening advice, turn to the trusted experts at Jung.
View our new catalog online or browse our website for your gardening favorites. To receive info on new products, exclusive deals, and specials, be sure to sign up for our weekly email. Join our Facebook page, to discuss all things gardening!