One of the simplest joys you can have is growing your own kitchen herb garden. If you have not grown your own herbs, now is a great time to start! Here are our top reasons why you should grow herbs in your kitchen.
Easy to Grow
- Herbs are one of the easiest groups of edibles to grow. Not everyone can start out as growing experts. Choosing an easy to grow plant will boost your gardening confidence.
- Short on gardening space? Herbs do not need a lot of room to grow. You can use pots, small containers, herb garden planters, or windowsills.
- If you are like us, you get busy. You also might forget things, like forgetting to water your herbs. You are in luck, varieties such as rosemary and thyme are drought-tolerant.
- We recommend trying these easy-to-grow herbs – basil, cilantro, oregano, sage, and thyme.
- Our favorite reason to grow fresh herbs is having them readily available while cooking your favorite recipe.
- Tea Time! You can use your herbs to make a variety of teas such as mint tea to warm yourself up on a cold day or chamomile tea to help with insomnia.
- You can dry your herbs and store them for later use.
- We recommend trying these flavorful herbs – bay laurel, dill, and rosemary.
- Herbs have been used for medicinal purposes for centuries. With the right herbs, you can ease sore throats and headaches or help with anxiety and stress.
- We recommend trying these medicinal herbs – ginger, mint, and peppermint.
Crafts & Gifts
- Herbs can be used to create a variety of delightful crafts such as bath salts, soaps, shampoo, and candles.
- Some herbs such a bay laurel and rosemary can be shaped into small decorative “trees”.
- Herbs can be a wonderful gift for friends and family as a potted plant or a DIY gift.
- We recommend trying these herbs – lemongrass, peppermint, and rosemary.
Decorating Your Home
- Add a splash of color to your kitchen with vibrant herbs such as basil or sage.
- Herbs can be used to make decorative wreaths and kitchen decor.
- Instead of using candles, try using herbs to make your home smell delightful.
- We recommend trying these fragrant herbs – basil, rosemary, and thyme.
If you are not sure where to start or what to grow, visit a Jung Garden Center near you. The experts there can help design your perfect herb container garden or give you herb gardening ideas.